Thursday, January 15, 2009

Installing 4.0.0

Back in October, I was the first standalone client to upgrade from 7.7.2 account to DW4.0.0. (And the fastest.)

The install is fairly painless. Since I was the first, I obviously ran into problems. But they were mostly from my end.

If you properly read the doc all should go well. I am pretty satisfied with the process. The resulting software after the install is a different story. I'll post that later.

Only piece of advice:

Copy the database schema to a new space. Use the default dwschema for the name of the user/schema. It is recommended in the instructions but I think it's a must for two reasons: a) It cleans up the tablespaces and indexes. b) It cuts out any problems during the conversion.

I'm going to try the multiple-entity site db setup soon. It was explained to me at the user conference and found many advantages from my prospective. I'm putting this one on the list to try out.

If all goes well, one could install this in one day of work. I thought the database conversion would take the longest but it didn't. The database export/import to the new schema will take the longest depending how large the schema is. It took me about 3 hours to load the new schema from backup.

Upgrade times:
New account: 30-40 minutes.
Existing account: approximately 2 hours.

Not bad. Thumbs up to the Sungard Install Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment