Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sun versus Red Hat

versus


7.72DW2.0 was the first release of Degreeworks with the Red Hat as an option. Before I bought my hardware I had the opportunity to test both environments. My Review:

Red Hat:

Pros: Cheaper. Much Faster CPU's (up to 3.0 Ghz), thus faster audits.
Cons: Limited to only Intel processors. NO AMD's! Less cores.

Sun:
Pros: Sun hardware allows for more core/multi-thread processing, thus more batches/simultaneous audits.
Cons: Expensive. Slower CPU's (1.0 - 1.66 GHz).

That's basically what it boils down to. They both run DW exactly the same. Obviously the RH server ran the audit 2-3 times faster but only has a 4 core limitation. Sun processors go up to 8 cores.

I tried to run a Sun server and a RH server connected to the same database account (hybrid server) and it didn't work because of steno. Eventually this will be a option once steno has been phased out of DW. 1-2 years?

I chose the Sun because eventually we are going to need to run more batches for the Curriculum Planning Assistant. I will blog about this soon. It's has some costly needs.

4 comments:

  1. Derek,

    How did you spec your Sun box? We were going to do SAR metrics and let Sun tell us what we need. What is your experience with your box so far?

    Thanks
    Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late comment. I like it. I need more storage and memory but the threading is great. Before you do your metrics, I suggest having your scribe requirement done. This is our achillies. Our requirements are make our audits slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Sun server did you go with (a Sun Fire v490)? How much memory. Now with the cores not be limited on Red Hat systems would you still stick with Degree Works on Sun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also would this be able to handle or work on a VM system for testing. I'm not sure if you tried that for your test system.

    ReplyDelete